A visitor and tourist visa lets you visit Australia as a tourist, to see family and friends or for purposes such as business or medical treatment.
There are a number of visitor visas to choose from depending on which country you belong to and how long you wish to stay in Australia.
Use the guide below to pick the best visitor option for your visit to Australia.
Visitor Visa Options
Thinking of applying for a Visitor Visa? This comprehensive guide is for you.
Visitor visa subclass 600
This temporary visa is for tourists, business visitors or to visit family for 3, 6 or 12 months. You may be in or outside Australia to lodge a valid visa application. This visa does not allow you to work in Australia or study for more than 3 months. There are 5 different visa streams Tourist, Sponsored Family, Business Visitor, Approved Destination Status and Frequent Traveller.
Visa Application Fees (AUD)
From AUD 145 for overseas Tourist Stream applicants. Different charges may apply for other streams
You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
Avg. Processing Time (days)
Processing time for Tourist Stream
- 75% of applications: 56 days
- 90% of applications: 66 days
Processing time for Family Sponsored Stream
- 75% of applications: 80 days
- 90% of applications: 120 days
Max. Travel & Stay (months)
You cannot stay in Australia for longer than 12 months on this visa.
Your visa will specify the period of stay which is usually up to 3, 6 or 12 months from date of grant of visa.
- You must satisfy specific criteria relating to the visitor visa stream that you are applying for.
- You must meet the genuine temporary stay requirement. Provide as much proof as you can to show you are visiting Australia as a temporary visitor only. This could include:
- proof you have enough money for your stay and to leave Australia, such as personal bank statements, pay slips, audited accounts, tax records or credit card limit.
- a letter from your relative or friend in Australia, inviting you to visit. The letter could state:
- their relationship to you
- the purpose of your visit and length of stay
- if you will be staying with them
If this person will be paying for your stay, provide proof of their funds.
- your plans while in Australia
Proof that you have reasons to return home such as:
- a letter from your employer stating you plan to return to your job
- proof that you study at a school, college or university in your home country
- proof that you have immediate family members in your home country
- proof that you can return home
- proof that you own a house or other major assets in your home country
- You must be able to demonstrate that you have access to sufficient funds to cover the cost of your stay in Australia.
- You must meet health and character requirements.
- You can fast-track your application for an additional AUD 1,000 if you are travelling on a Chinese, Indian or UAE passport.
- Parents and step-parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents who are requesting a visa that is valid for more than 12 months should provide a letter stating:
- you are a parent or step-parent of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- you want to apply for a longer visa
Need help with your visitor visa application?
Enter your details to book a free consultation with one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents. We can customise our plans as per your circumstances.
Both, do-it-yourself (DIY) as well as full service options are available. Book now!
We understand that some applicants prefer the DIY option. We can review your application and highlight any risks to minimise the chances of refusal. Enter your details and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
The full service option is best for applicants who want peace of mind knowing that a professional is taking care of the entire migration process. Enter your details and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
How it works
Here’s how we'll work with you:
Initial consultation & documents review
We ask you to send us some background information. An experienced consultant is assigned to your case who sets up an initial online call to go over your specific migration goals and challenges.
In depth research & Advice
Your personal consultant then researches all possible options for you and prepares a detailed plan of action and milestones for your successful migration.
Application prep & submission
Once you approve the plan, your personal consultant takes over. Your application is prepared, all relevant documents are compiled and lodged focusing on timely and error free submissions.
Ongoing updates & communication
Our team continually monitors the progress of your application every step of the process. Any updates are promptly communicated to you to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks.
Good luck to you with the visitor visa application as well as with your upcoming trip to Australia.
Still need more help? Contact our Visitor Visa Specialists who will guide you step by step in preparing and lodging your partner visa application.